Phone: (831) 688-3802 or (831) 724-3885
Head Start has been improving the lives of low-income children and families in Santa Cruz County since 1965 through high-quality, comprehensive child development, and family support services. Head start supports school readiness and promotes healthy families through delivery of education, health, and social services.
Enrollment opportunities are available to children aged 3-5 years in our children’s centers or our home base program. These options are located throughout Santa Cruz County. Part day classes and the home visiting program are offered September through May.
Free services include:
· Early childhood education options:
· 3 ½ hour preschool age classes either in the morning or afternoon, Tuesday-Friday or
· Our home visiting program with one 1 ½ hour weekly visit and two monthly socializations
· These options prepare children for school success by implementing a developmentally appropriate active learning curriculum that
- supports literacy and math skills
- supports children’s home language
- includes the I am Moving, I am Learning nutrition and physical activity curriculum
- includes Second Step Social Emotional curriculum
- offers the Raising a Reader Lending Library Program
· Parent Education
· Health and dental screening
· Parent involvement
· Social services
· Nutrition and developmental assessments
· Resources and referrals for families
Head Start ensures that every child is ready to learn by offering families opportunities to:
· Learn new information
· Develop new skills
· Participate in decision-making
· Set and meet family goals
· Advocate for their child
· Participate in family literacy activities
· And, much more!
Call Head Start TODAY to enroll your child in a nationally-renowned child development program!